Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Journal Entry 1: Collage artists

http://www.changethethought.com/tag/collage/page/4/

This site has a lot of interesting collage and mixed media artists. The artists whose work I felt the most drawn to were Eiko Ojala, James Dawe, Dan Baldwin, Alejandro Chavetta, and Lou Beach.

What I like about Eiko Ojala's work is the simplicity and the cleanness of his work. There aren't any hard, drawn on lines, but instead the line width is implied by the use of shadows of the cut outs. I also enjoy the contrast between the details of the eyes and the simplicity of the rest of the images.

In the works done by James Dawe, I like the way in which he doesn't try and blend the collaged pieces together, but instead makes them different colors to make them even more noticeable as a collage piece.

Dan Baldwin's piece is interesting because he does not have any defined fore, mid, or backgrounds. It is more like some parts are just in front of others, and the flatness of this works well with the style that he works in.

The piece by Alejandro Chavetta is interesting because the artist left a lot of negative space in the piece, and also uses color combined with greyscale that makes for a pleasing contrast.

I like the pieces on this site by Lou Beach because of his use of constructing a form out of things that are not actually part of that form, but the overall effect makes it seem as though it belongs there.

1 comment:

  1. I really enjoy the pieces by Dan Baldwin. I like that there is just SO much to try and take in in each picture. It keeps the viewer interested, at least it kept me interested.

    ReplyDelete